When you first decide to get married, you’ll be filled with excitement, ideas and dreams. However, when reality starts to kick in, the worries will begin. Fear of the unknown can add stress to the wedding planning process.
- Do I have the time
- Do I get anxious easily
- Am I a naturally organised type of person
- Have I experience of event management
- Will I become overwhelmed with the amount of work involved
- Do I know and understand the legalities and specific requirements of the country I want to marry in
- Will I be so stressed that I won’t enjoy my wedding day
An honest answer to the above questions may lead you to the conclusion that you need to hire a wedding planner.
What Does a Wedding Planner Do?
A Wedding Planner works closely with the couple to plan their dream Wedding Day, to ensure that everything runs smoothly in the run up to the wedding, and of course on the big day itself. A timeline will be established to help ease the stress along the way, your budget will be maintained, reliable and experienced suppliers will be booked, legalities will be explained and adhered to, and on the day event management will take place from behind the scenes to ensure your Wedding Day is as you dreamt it would be.
Hiring a Wedding Planner
It’s very important that you have a face-to-face meeting with your Wedding Planner, as this is the only way to get a real feel for them. You are going to be working closely with this person for the next year or thereabouts, so make sure it’s a good fit on both a professional and a personal level. Arrange a meeting at a suitable time and come prepared with a list of questions. In advance of the meeting know your budget and have a fair idea of how many guests you wish to invite. You should have also decided on a possible date and which type of ceremony you want – Church Wedding, Civil Marriage or Symbolic Ceremony. Some questions you might ask:
- Do they share your values and your vision for your Wedding?
- Can they accommodate your individual requirements?
- How much experience have they in wedding planning, is it their full-time occupation or a part-time hobby?
- How do they work – solo or with a team?
- How many weddings do they look after in one day/one week/one year?
- Are they an established business, and can you check any references?
- How does this Wedding Planner handle pricing, fees and payments, and back-up plans for inclement weather?
- Are they on commission from particular venues or do you have the freedom to choose.
- Can you bring in some of your own suppliers such as photographer, hairdresser, etc. or are restrictions in place?
- If the Wedding Planner is recommending their suppliers, will you meet them in advance of your wedding for consultations, and will the wedding planner be present at these meetings?
- Request a full breakdown of all costs and fees
If you are happy with the answers to the above questions you need to be clear on the next steps. Do you have to sign a contract, how is payment handled and when is it due, how often will you be in contact with your Wedding Planner and are there any additional extras not included in the proposal that you need to be aware of.
Even though hiring a wedding planner is an additional cost, their service can often end up saving you money as they can obtain discounts on your behalf by offering repeat business to suppliers, they know what number of items are required and can assist in keeping to budget. Destination wedding planners are familiar with local customs and traditions, and very often can handle everything including ceremonies, legalities, reception, airport transfers and activities. The right wedding planner can also save you time and stress which is priceless.
When it comes to weddings, a lot of people worry about the small things when they should be relaxed and enjoying their day. Your Wedding Day is the time to focus on having a really good time, with good food, good company and plenty of dancing. At Marry Me in Lake Garda we have been assisting couples plan their weddings for over 12 years. A wedding can be a stressful time and you don’t want to spend your Wedding Day worrying about the Ceremony, the Flowers, Photo Shoots, etc. Let us look after it for you.
Tel: +353 87 6742020